Just Ask James: Love
What do you think about love?
What is with all these vague questions? When I signed up for this gig, I thought I’d usually write a sentence or two of genuine advice, followed by a paragraph or more poking fun at the advice-seeker…
My idea of love:
- Walking across a grass lawn and getting stung by a bee; my mother running to me, her mouth jumping upon me and sucking out the stinger.
- My mother placing red and silver stickers on our childhood windows that let the firefighters know there was a young person in the room.
- My father when he came back from sea, when he came back from India and Spain and brought bull horns and cobra skins.
- Books: the way I could slip into them like a dream.
- My sisters Erin and Laura — you should have seen them fight over a tee shirt…
- My son Gavin, asleep. Once he was sick, and puked and shit at the same time. I pulled up his limp body and smelled the smells, holding him in my arms. His shoes which were soiled with fecal matter.
- Sometimes I reach across all the stars.
- Kim most of all, and this crash I have sliding down a hill of ice where I can control it and she is afraid to drive. I drive it every day. She gives me the keys when she has to get to work early… Jamie, can you drive me down the hill? I throw on my coast guard hat. Most of my life is dream, but I am good at this, dreaming and driving cars down icy slopes.
Care to Share?
Consider posting a note of comment on this item: